Lentils are small, seed-like vegetables that are part of the legume family. They are the ideal superfood because they are rich in complex carbohydrates, which is a nutrient that can boost the metabolism and help the body burn fat
They are also low in fat and calories, which makes them perfect for people who are watching their weight. There are only 230 calories and less than 1 gram of fat for a 1 cup serving.
But the coolest thing about this little plant is that it’s high in protein, which makes it an excellent part of the vegan and vegetarian diet. With 18 grams per one cup serving, the protein value of lentils is comparable to the value found in many meat and dairy products.
A Great Substitute For Meat
Studies show that people who eat red meat have an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. As people are choosing to forgo the choice of meat in their diets, they must find other sources of protein to support their body’s needs. That’s why lentils can fill in the voids when meat is off the table. Legumes such as lentils also contain phytochemicals that help the body fight free radicals that can cause diseases such as certain cancers and Parkinson’s.
A Great Addition To Any Diet Or Homemade Soup
Even if you’re a meat eater, lentils can still play an important role in your good health. They contain 16 grams of fiber per cup, which can fill you up without weighing you down. The fiber they contain can prevent constipation and other digestive disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome, and help move toxins out of the body.
Fiber has the ability to trap the glucose from carbohydrates to slow down digestion. This can help control blood sugar levels, aiding in the prevention of insulin resistance, diabetes, and hypoglycemia.
Lentils also contain a high amount of important vitamins and nutrients like:
• Folate – needed to make red and white blood cells in the bone marrow.
• Magnesium – relaxes the cardiovascular muscles and assists in lowering blood pressure.
• Iron – helps transport oxygen through the body and aids in energy production.
• Phosphorus – helps the body make proteins that grow and repair tissues and cells.
• Copper – assists with red blood cell production and helps prevent heart disease.
• B Vitamins (such as B3) – help boost metabolism and support red blood cell health.
• Potassium – supports heart, bone, and muscle strength.
• Zinc – supports a healthy immune system.
When it comes to rich and soul-satisfying homemade soup, our brown lentils with kale is exactly what your body is craving. It contains all of the health benefits of lentils (and kale) without sacrificing taste. At SoLé SoupS, we believe in the power of fresh, the power of clean, and the power that homemade soup has on the mind and body. With so many health benefits, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t pick up a cup or bowl today and start reaping the benefits.