Legumes are a wonder food. They are food sources that you might eat every day, but never gave much thought to. Legumes are a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas, and lentils, and they’re excellent sources of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
Legumes have a low glycemic index, which means that they’ll keep you feeling fuller for longer. This can help with preventing weight gain, but it can also help prevent and manage diabetes. Legumes can boost your heart health when added to an otherwise healthy diet as they can help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol, decrease triglycerides, lower blood pressure, and reduce inflammation.
Legumes Are High In Vitamins And Minerals
Legumes are high in important nutrients that the body needs every day, such as:
- Fiber – helps to keep the digestive system healthy by normalizing bowels, controls blood sugar levels, and staves off hunger.
- Magnesium – supports a healthy immune system, maintains muscle and nerve function, and keeps bones strong.
- Iron – carries oxygen from your lungs through your body. Iron deficiency can lead to anemia that causes fatigue and impaired brain function.
- Potassium – regulates fluid balance in the body, supports a healthy nervous system, and regulates heart and muscle contractions.
- B Vitamins (B12, Folate) – help convert carbohydrates into energy, assists with cell repair, and keeps nerve and blood cells healthy.
Types Of Legumes
Legumes are a healthy meat substitute for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. The most common types of legumes include:
- Black-eyed peas
- Kidney beans
- Garbanzo beans
- Cannellini beans
- Soy nuts
Love Legumes And Lentils In Your Soup
Nothing is as satisfying to the soul as homemade soups that contain legumes. Not only is it healthy, it brings comfort and joy with every spoonful. But when your time is stretched thin, homemade soups can take up way more time than you have to give. That’s why we do it for you.
From our brown lentil and kale soup to our classic yellow split pea with curry, you’ll find enough homemade soups here to fill your belly with love and good health. And SoLé SoupS® never skimps on taste. We believe in the power of fresh, the power of clean, and the power that soup has on the mind and body. With so many health benefits to legumes, it looks like we’re doing a pretty satisfying job.
Come on into our SoLé SoupS® Studio in Agoura Hills and try any of our soups including squash and our new ramen. If you’re not juicing you should be souping.